Other Resources

Office of Victim Assistance

The Office of Victim Assistance (OVA) offers free confidential information, support, advocacy, and short-term counseling to students, faculty and staff at CU, including their significant others.  OVA is a separate office, not connected to the police department.  Our office primarily focuses on situations involving traumatic events, including, but not limited to physical assault and hazing, bias motivated incidents, death, discrimination and harassment including sexual harassment, intimate partner violence, serious accidents, sexual assault, and stalking. 

Boulder Community Mediation Services

The City of Boulder offers free mediation services for most landlord/tenant disputes.  Mediation is a form of alternative dispute resolution through which both parties in a dispute can present and argue their respective positions.  It is the job of the mediator to try and get the parties to reach a mutual agreement that resolves their disputes. 

Mediation is a voluntary process and both parties must agree to attend mediation.  If either party refuses to mediate, Community Mediation Services will not accept the case. Visit the City of Boulder's website to read more about Community Mediation Services.

Small Claims Court

The Boulder Small Claims court is a division of the Boulder County Court and is limited to civil lawsuits that are $7,500 or less.  Small Claims court is designed to provide an expedient, more informal judicial proceeding to resolve relative minor civil claims.  While Small Claims court is much faster than other courts, you will not be able to have an attorney represent you, so you’ll be on your own. 

Our in-house attorney can also give you information about filling out the appropriate forms and help guide you through the process.

CU Ombuds Office

While Community Mediation Services can also mediate roommate issues, the Ombuds Office at CU offers mediation for disputes between roommates, friends, faculty, or other students.  In addition, the Ombuds Office offers information on resources for all types of assistance to students, including counseling.  If your dispute is more of a personal issue rather than a legal issue, you may consider contacting the CU Ombuds Office.

Consumer Advocate Resources

If you’re having a problem with your landlord, management company, or other business, the Better Business Bureau and/or the Boulder Chamber of Commerce could be a good resource.  While a lot of private individuals who are landlords may not participate in either the BBB or the Chamber, there is still a lot of good consumer advocate information here.